Attorney in the Del.

Reporting on life in Wilmington, Delaware, a small city in a small state. (Note: Unless otherwise stated, all photos on this blog are Copyright 2006, Michael Collins, and cannot be used without permission.)

Friday, November 03, 2006

Victory!

Lest you thought I'd have nothing to say about Maryland's huge win over Florida State last weekend, I have plenty! Unfortunately, the baby is asleep and I'm typing in the dark so as not to wake him. I'll have to keep it brief.

Be assured, however, that I was shocked. Shocked that the team I watched for years fumble, stumble, and generally fall short of accomplishing anything of significance (sorry, I was in law school during coach Friedgen's amazing first three years as head coach) had finally beaten a team of significance when it mattered. By beating FSU, the Terps became bowl eligible (6-2).

Most importantly, I was on hand for the first and only game in any sport where my team won the big game and the fans rushed the field or court. Dozens and dozens of games attended where futility ruled, and mediocrity was the norm. Finally some real excitement!

I took the above photo with my camera phone after Maryland blocked the potential game-tying field goal with 40 seconds to go and held on for victory. I think the feeling of sheer pandemonium that followed is accurately portrayed above. Love it!

UPDATE: Those of you who have been around a couple years may remember when Maryland first beat FSU. I had just started my first blog, live from the unemployment line in Chicago. That year I had planned to go to one Maryland game: at home versus FSU. Unfortunately, having lost my job, I couldn't afford to fly back. Instead, I gave my ticket to my little brother. Naturally, the Terps won, the fans stormed the field, and my brother was in the thick of it. He was a freshman in high school at the time. That's kind of like when the young, bald-faced kid with the college degree takes a management position with diploma fresh in hand, while the long-time workers who toiled for years in the trenches get passed over for the position. It's just not fair.

Saturday's win, being the second against the Noles probably isn't nearly as sweet at the first. But for me, it was the first. I'll never forget it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home