Attorney in the Del.

Reporting on life in Wilmington, Delaware, a small city in a small state. (Note: Unless otherwise stated, all photos on this blog are Copyright 2006, Michael Collins, and cannot be used without permission.)

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

What Is It? The Answer

The answer to the "What Is It?" photo I posted a while back is: a dead cactus. Surprising, the ribs of a cactus look a lot like wood when they dry out. Being an East Coast native, I am not often in contact with cacti, and for some reason always expected that a cactus would decay a lot like a rotten watermelon or some other fruit.

Cacti, as I was told in my grade school science classes, hold a lot of water. A person could tear the fleshy insides out, if stranded in a desert, and suck out the moisture. I always imagined this characteristic would make the inside of a cactus something like a watermelon. And watermelons are only protected by a thick, but fragile, shell. Wouldn't a cactus be similar? I was not disabused of this notion a couple years ago when I plugged two straight tee shots into a cactus on a Tucson golf course. I didn't see any sign of an inner wooden skeleton as my two balls disappeared into newly minted holes with a 'thump.'

As you can see by these photos, a dead cactus has a pretty sturdy rib structure that grows from the ground up, giving the cactus a strong inner framework. Some of these puppies grow to over 30 feet tall, so, like a tree, a wooden structure would well suit those cacti that reach abnormal heights. That's your biology lesson for the day.

Cactus Skeleton. Camelback Mountain, Phoenix, AZ. February 21, 2006.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home