Attorney in the Del.

Reporting on life in Wilmington, Delaware, a small city in a small state. (Note: Unless otherwise stated, all photos on this blog are Copyright 2006, Michael Collins, and cannot be used without permission.)

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Fantasy Baseball

Saturday morning I'm making my first foray into fantasy baseball since 1998 when I managed the Sacrificial Slams from perennial cellar-dweller to a respectable second place finish. Back in those days, I was mocked for picking such duds as Gabe Kapler and Ryan Glynn with high picks, and refusing to play the Yankees on my roster...even in a year when they contended for the World Series trophy. Yes, my methods may be unconventional, but I get results. Well, a result. I haven't been back to fantasy baseball since that single magical season in 1998.

Now I'm back, and boy do I know nothing about baseball in 2006. I worshipped baseball as a kid. I played as much as I could, collected baseball cards, pursued autographs, considered the games I attended as some of the highlights of childhood. I owned a book of baseball data that was so thick it could double as a stool. My mind was full of worthless baseball stats and anecdotes. In college I made it a point to buy tickets to at least ten games a year at Camden Yards. While my friends were out partying, you could often find me in my dorm room watching the "When It Was A Game" series on cable (OK...if I had some money, I probably wouldn't have been quite that lame). I loved baseball.

Now, I don't know who the heck plays the game anymore. From the headlines, it seems like a lot of cheaters. Cal Ripken and Tony Gwynn retired a few years back, and with them, what seems like the last vestigages of class in the game. Maybe Derek Jeter deserves some credit, but I won't give it to him because he plays for the Yankees. That's just a rule.

Beyond the cheating, I just can't identify half the players in the game anymore. Being an adult is no fun that way. All the diversions I loved as a kid are crowded out now by concerns about family, bills, taxes, and other energy draining and not fun worries. All these matters crowd out the time I might better spend checking out batting averages, stolen bases, trade rumors, and home run totals.

Maybe by joining a fantasy league, I can get back a little bit of that youthful exuberance. I'm already starting to feel it a little bit. My eyes are set on Cleveland Indians OF Coco Crisp. Hehe. "Coco Crisp" is a person's name. Hilarious! I have to have him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home