Attorney in the Del.

Reporting on life in Wilmington, Delaware, a small city in a small state. (Note: Unless otherwise stated, all photos on this blog are Copyright 2006, Michael Collins, and cannot be used without permission.)

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Painting

As a lawyer, I don't spend much time working with my hands, but when I do, I have a blast. This weekend, I finished re-painting our kitchen. Almost certainly, I have never painted anything else in my life, so I was a little worried about how it would turn out.

This was no ordinary paint job either. Our kitchen walls already sported a decent color, but we wanted to give our kitchen more of a Tuscan look. We decided to go with a glaze called "Bellagio Faux", which can be added atop a base layer. Having a nice base already on the walls, we needed only decide on the color of glaze to spread on top.

We chose a bright yellow and a pink to add to our base color, which was a reddish tan color (I'm sure it has a name, but I'm a guy, so I can only approximate using primary colors). The pamphlets on the glaze showed a number of color mixes to choose from, but our choices were mere guesses as to what we wanted, since our base color was not featured. Add to this uncertainty my complete virginity in the painting realm, and this Bellagio adventure was turning into quite a gamble.

In the end, it seemed to turn out quite well. Below are before, after the first coat of yellow, and finished product photos. A job well done if I do say so myself!


This the "before" photo. As you can see, the paint job was just fine. But kind of bland.


















Here you can see how the coat looked after I applied the yellow glaze. This coat alone looked very nice. Had we not added a second layer, I probably would have been quite satisfied. But we added a second, pink layer this weekend.
















The pink layer, as you can see, added a fuller texture to the job. Overall, I am quite pleased with the results. I would have been depressed, but not surprised, if I had completely failed at this task given my everyday occupation. But now that I have succeeded, for better or for worse, my wife and I have brainstormed a few more improvements.

Fingers crossed that the success continues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home