Attorney in the Del.

Reporting on life in Wilmington, Delaware, a small city in a small state. (Note: Unless otherwise stated, all photos on this blog are Copyright 2006, Michael Collins, and cannot be used without permission.)

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Not Savvy

We bought a Linksys wireless router several months ago. Worked like a charm for several weeks until I tried to turn on the security feature. Suddenly, no more internet connection. After spending several hours on the phone one night with a Verizon representative in what I think was India, we made no progress and I decided that those several hours of my life we not worth fixing the router problems. Tonight I decided to waste several more hours of my life on the same project.

I tried everything. The Linksys website, various diagnostic tools, turning everything off...then on, restarting the computer, changing passwords, connecting different wires...I even enlisted an old DSL box that hasn't seen action since I lived in Chicago.

And finally...success (I think)! The last trick in my book was to try basically turning an ethernet cable around. I remembered somewhere in law school I became aware that some ethernet cables have "male" and "female" ends. I dared to act on my hunch, and voila, I'm finally again able to access the internet through the wireless router. The real test will be in a few minutes when I go downstairs and see if my laptop can access the internet through the waves in the air.

Fingers crossed...(as you can tell, I am the definition of a layperson when it comes to technology, if turning the machine off and on doesn't solve the problem, I'm in for several long hours of misery).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home