Attorney in the Del.

Reporting on life in Wilmington, Delaware, a small city in a small state. (Note: Unless otherwise stated, all photos on this blog are Copyright 2006, Michael Collins, and cannot be used without permission.)

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Bandwagon Jumping

My friends and I have had a lot of debates in the past regarding sports loyalties. The number one crime a sports fan can commit is hitching his fandom to the bandwagon of a winner (see, most Yankees, Lakers, Duke basketball fans), especially when things go sour for his own team. Today, in an instant-classic column, Tony Kornheiser put the smack down on Michael Wilbon for briefly switching loyalties from that of a Cubs fan to a White Sox fan, since the Cubs are at home and the Sox play on this postseason:

An open letter to Michael Wilbon:

You know I love you. And that's why I'm begging you not to wrap yourself in the flag of the Chicago White Sox -- as you did yesterday on "PTI" by wearing an idiotic White Sox jersey. Believe me, that is not a flattering outfit unless you're trying to look like a tablecloth.

Everybody here knows you're a Cubs fan. Everybody here knows what a phony you'd be to glom onto the White Sox now -- simply just because, conveniently, they're winning -- after dismissing them for years. I, too, come from a city where there are two baseball teams, the Yankees and Mets. I was a Mets fan. I rooted for the Mets. I didn't root for the Yankees just because they got into the playoffs. I spit on the Yankees. It's a little thing most of us like to call integrity. I've got a number you can call if you want some.

Read on for more smacking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home